Friday, July 16, 2010

More Mapping Software

About a month ago, I finished a three day bicycle tour over to, and down the coast, that I thought would be about 65 miles per day, with maybe 8000 ft of climbing over the whole tour route. When I was done, I had ridden a 94 mile first day with over 7000 ft of climbing and a 115 mile last day with over 9000 ft of climbing. It was a great tour, but I was baffled with how inept (some may read stupid) my planning had been.

While perusing a web page the other day for a Mt. Hood area race, I starting playing with this very cool embedded Google type map that traced the ride profile below as I moused over the route map above. There was a link to the mapping site attached to the map so I clicked on it. . . ta dah! And yet another personal route mapping web site. . . but hey, this one is really simple and works really well, and uses Google for its map data, and it talks to your gps, and it has all kinds of more cool features, and it's free. . . and, I couldn't stop my self from playing with it and drawing all kinds of cool routes to plan new tours and see the exact distance of rides I've done over the years and exactly how much climbing I really did . . . and, and, and . . . you just gotta check it out.


If for some reason the there is not a cool map embedded above this line, the link for the mapping web page is "ridewithgps.com".

No comments: